About Me

My photo
Nashville, TN
I don't claim to be a profound writer, but I keep (well try to keep) this blog mainly to keep family and friends updated on things in my life when I'm away from home

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Tuesday, May 31, 2011: Day 1 as an Intern


So today was my first day at CEG. Overall it went really well. I didn’t realize how small the office was going to be (literally it’s just a big room, on the 8th floor of 505 8th Avenue), and that there were only going to be a handful of people working (I knew it was going to be small, but I didn’t expect it to be that small). I thought there was going to be another intern, but she wasn’t there today (maybe I was wrong about that). The first hour or two, I just went through the sites that CEG runs to get acclimated with what the company does as a whole and familiarize myself with some of the bands we work with (a little bit of what I had done before I got there). I got to sit in on the weekly meeting and was able to get a better feel for the dynamic within the office.  I’ve never had a job before where I worked at a computer, so doing office work is a little bit new for me. And while I mastered the subway in getting to my internship, it was a completely different story when I was asked to go run a few errands. Google maps in hand, I somehow managed to navigate my way downtown, then uptown, and finally back to my internship location with only one complete internal freak-out and several bouts of second guessing myself. The plus side to this little expedition was that I figured out a more efficient way to get back to NYU (and am completely comfortable transferring trains). I’m not 100% sure how I feel about my internship yet. So far I like it and everyone in the office is really nice, but I’m still not completely comfortable yet (though I’m sure I’ll be fine within a week or so). I don’t know if it’s hopeful thinking, but I think this internship is going to turn into something that I will love…but only time will tell.
What I didn’t already mention was that I decided to wear long pants today. Which might have been fine if I hadn’t been running around (not that I’m complaining about that, I greatly enjoyed being trusted enough to run errands), but by the time I made it back to my suite (or apartment as I keep calling it because we do have a kitchen) I was dying to get out of my work clothes. Unfortunately this meant we didn’t get to the dining hall until about 7ish, and the line was ridiculous! I’m hoping this changes really soon, especially since the Gramercy Park group arrives on Sunday (meaning an additional 200 or so people will be dining there as well).
Anyway, at 7:30 there was an ice cream social. Not many people went, but it was still a ton of fun. We partook in a few icebreakers (I don’t know if it’s because I’ve gotten so used to them over the last few years through START, but I actually really like ice breakers), and they turned more into conversations then completing the tasks (we did the toilet paper game (where you have to give a bit of information about yourself for each square) and human bingo). I got to talk to a lot of really great people. I’m having a hard time keeping track of the names of people I only come in contact with for a few minutes, but I’m getting better (and I remember the conversations and faces of each person, so I feel like that kind of makes up for the fact I’m having issues with keeping the names straight). After the social was over, a group of us checked out the gym. Let’s just say, calling it amazing is an understatement. There are like 50 million treadmills, the pool is beautiful, there is a completely separate aerobic section, there’s a rock climbing wall. After tomorrow (hey, I’m still getting use to city life), I’m going to be taking full advantage of it before work (maybe after too, but that would be more for the social aspect).
Well hopefully my life in the city isn’t boring everyone too much. I apologize if these are very journal-ly and bland, but as interesting things happen, I’ll be sure to write about them. But until then, you’re just going to get “the day and the life of little Kristen Rose in the Big Apple”

No comments:

Post a Comment