About Me

My photo
Nashville, TN
I don't claim to be a profound writer, but I keep (well try to keep) this blog mainly to keep family and friends updated on things in my life when I'm away from home

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Wednesday June 1, 2011: Dream Careers


            Well first let me start off by saying I am in total disbelief that it’s June! This year has flown by so fast. My internship today was pretty good. I mainly worked at the computer, trying to find ways to promote some shows that we have going on this week. My favorite part though was using the paper cutter to separate the cards to promote different shows. Yes, I know that it’s weird, but I don’t know it was fun; slightly tedious, but I felt productive doing it. For the most part, I’m just very unsure about whether or not I’m doing well, and I don’t know if you can call it stress, but I’m constantly wondering if I’m being of any help to the company. I guess you can say that I’m in limbo with my feelings towards my internship (and by that I mean I like it so far but the constant uncertainty of my contribution leaves me uneasy), but I think that’s mostly because I’m still getting use to it. I was originally going to go to the Empire State Building tomorrow with Dream Careers, but decided that I would much rather work the show that is going on at Le Poisson Rouge. That way I get a feel for how events are run (and plus I’ve been to the Empire State Building before).
            Not too much happened today. Tonight the CEO of Dream Careers, Eric Lochtefeld, talked to us about how Dream Careers got started and his life leading up to the start of the company. I’m not going to go into details, but it was a very amazing story and I understand how much meaning is behind the word Dream. Before coming to NYC, I told people I was taking part in an internship program and very rarely mentioned that the program was called Dream Careers. I didn’t want to deal with the skeptical looks and knowing that whoever I was talking to was sitting there thinking “Is she sure this is a legit company/program?” (But seriously, even if I had mentioned the name, most of you know that I wouldn’t just sign up for something without having done extensive research). However, now that I know how this company came to be and was built on the determination of not selling out on ones dreams, I feel like I’m going to have no problem telling everyone back home that I spent my summer interning in NYC through participating in Dream Careers. I was also excited to learn that there is a volunteer branch (Dream Volunteers) of the company, something I definitely want to look into (maybe for next year).
            Hope you guys aren't getting too bored with my posts, I promise this weekend's ones will be good (Tour of NYC, Central Park, The Script, I'm turning 21, and The Met Mile).
           

No comments:

Post a Comment