About Me

My photo
Nashville, TN
I don't claim to be a profound writer, but I keep (well try to keep) this blog mainly to keep family and friends updated on things in my life when I'm away from home

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Days Go By


            As I sit in the Great Room of Shelem after completing our Saturday cleaning, I find it a strange concept that in exactly one week I’ll be back in Connecticut. This past week I feel as though I have found my place at Re-Member, so just as I really have started to get the hang of things I’ll be leaving. People say that time goes by when you're having fun but it's an entirely different thing when you are experience it.
            This past week was a hot one, with multiple days when the high was over 110°F. I got to work in the workshop in the beginning of the week and then deliver beds a few days later; while I’ve become accustomed to the whole process, it is always a joy to see the reactions of the volunteers when they see little kids receiving beds for the first time.
            In addition to bunk beds, I got to do a skirting job this past week, which was very different than the week before since there were less people and it required more instruction on my part. David put me in charge of instructing the volunteers to skirt one of the short ends of the trailer, which turned out pretty well considering I hadn’t done that before. I also got to work on a roofing project this week, which was a lot of fun.
            I’m really looking forward to making the most of this next week and while I’m disappointed to be leaving so soon, but that disappointment is countered by the fact that I know that this is not my last time out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment