About Me

My photo
Nashville, TN
I don't claim to be a profound writer, but I keep (well try to keep) this blog mainly to keep family and friends updated on things in my life when I'm away from home

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Last Week on the Rez


This week has been an interesting week. We kicked it off with a Pow Wow in Community  #4, after which there was an insane storm that cooled everything off...well at least until the morning. Surprisingly I wasn’t in the workshop at all this week; instead I got to work on 2 different skirting/deck jobs and the roofing project we’ve been working on for a few weeks now (I learned how to shingle a roof).
I’m really glad that I decided to leave on Saturday and not on Friday (when the work week is technically over) because it allowed me to have a day to relax and hang out with everyone after the volunteers left. Almost the entire staff went to Lakota Café for breakfast and then a bunch of us went horseback riding. I was supposed to go to a sweat at Inila’s with Marissa and Eric, however after we got there and cut the wood for the fire it looked like it was going to rain. Normally this wouldn’t be a big deal but Inila and his family live about 17miles off the paved road therefore any rain would have had us stuck there for the night, without guarantee I would make it back in time to finish packing and make my flight home. It ended up turning out fine though because we not only made it back to the main road before the rain started, but we were able to extend our visit and have dinner with Inila in town.
This week went by way to fast and I still can’t believe that in less than 12 hours I will be back home in Connecticut; it feels like I just got here. While I miss my family, I’m not ready to leave the Rez or Re-Member.

No comments:

Post a Comment