About Me

My photo
Nashville, TN
I don't claim to be a profound writer, but I keep (well try to keep) this blog mainly to keep family and friends updated on things in my life when I'm away from home

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Saturday, June 23, 2011: It Seems Like Only Yesterday


              It seems like just yesterday I was waking up and loading into my mom’s Honda CRV for my parents to drive me to NYC; and now, 8 short weeks later it was time for them to pick me up. This morning was very bizarre. I had a dream about everyone going home and saying goodbye as we parted ways, but I kept telling myself that this wasn’t actually happening and it was all a dream. Ironically enough, at that point in time it was. However, when my alarm went off, I realized that in less than an hour my dream was going to start becoming reality. The 2011 Dream Careers New York Union Square internship program had reached its final day and at approximately 8:30a.m., we had to start the process of sending off friends to the airport. Just 2 months ago, we hardly knew each other, but now, after spending almost every free minute with each other, the thought of our group of 9 being separated was something none of us wanted to face.
Nick and Steph B. were the first to depart, and even after the taxi pulled away, I think I was still in denial. After the taxi was out of sight, I went back to my room and finished up packing before going down the hall to hang out with everyone, or rather help out with cleaning (it was time spent together so it really didn’t matter what we were doing). After a little bit Steph M. left and it still didn’t feel like things were real. Katherine’s mother and stepfather had stopped by and let’s just say Katherine and her mother have more or less identical personalities (it was so fun to watch). After some more cleaning, it was now time for us to send Shelby off in her taxi to the airport. At this point, it actually started to hit me that it was almost time to go home. My parents arrived within 10 minutes of Shelby leaving, and it was now my turn to pack up the car and share emotional hugs and parting words.
When I left for NYC on May 29, I had hoped that this summer was going to be a good one. But I was wrong; this program was by far one of the most amazing experiences I could have asked for, therefore making it an indescribably amazing and unforgettable summer. I had been so nervous about starting my internship, and I ended up loving the fact that the office was small and that it allowed me to get more hands on experience. And while I knew that I was going to make friends this summer, I didn’t expect to hit it off with a fabulous group of people almost right off the bat or to have some of the best memories of my summer after just being there for a week. I don’t know what I would’ve done without any of the people I have met. I have always been quiet among people that I don’t know very well and am fully aware of how awkward I can be at times; however I felt at home among the friends I made and that made the transition into city life remarkably easier.
Steph, Chandler, Shelby, Katherine, Steph, Tyler, Steven, and Nick I seriously have no idea what this summer would have been like without anyone of you. All the random comments, laughing for no reason, our NYC adventures and explorations and just enjoying each other’s company while getting to know each other a little bit better as the time went on; the memories we made this summer will never be forgotten. Our group was so random and diverse, but I think that’s part of the reason why we all got along. We have all had the privilege of entering each other’s lives and touching one another’s hearts and because of that we will never be the same people that we were before the program. Thank you for such an amazing summer, words can’t describe how much I’m going to miss all of you, and I have no doubt that even though we are no longer 2 seconds away from each other that we will always keep in touch.

Elina, Kasey, Krista, Sam, Jeunevieve, Heather, Steve, and Pauleen you all helped make this summer unforgettable and were always there if we needed you. Thank you for your tireless work and helping all of us become Dreamers, it means more than words can say.

No comments:

Post a Comment