About Me

My photo
Nashville, TN
I don't claim to be a profound writer, but I keep (well try to keep) this blog mainly to keep family and friends updated on things in my life when I'm away from home

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Sunday, July 10, 2011: Welcome to the Jungle


            This weekend was definitely more eventful than during the week! Yesterday we aimed to get several things off our NYC bucket list. The first stop was Goodburger for lunch, as it was a movie from our childhood that all of us fondly remember. I got the classic goodburger and fries and it was a lot better than I was expecting (though looking back I wish I had gotten orange soda as my drink). After lunch we headed down to the financial district to do a few things down there.
            Our first stop was the Trinity Church, the church from the movie National Treasure. It was a little bit smaller than I was expecting, but still very beautiful inside. We stayed there for awhile and looked around. Once we left there, we went to the Wall St Bull, and it was packed with people around it. Nick, Shelby, and I each jumped up and sat on the bull’s head/neck for a picture. We wandered toward Ground Zero and even though I’ve seen it before, it seems a lot bigger when you’re standing on the ground (as opposed to driving by in a bus). Shelby had been to the 9/11 Memorial Preview when her mom and sister were here, so we decided to check it out. The plans they have are amazing, and I fully intend on visiting when they’re done (projected 2012).
For dinner, we checked out Vapiano’s, a restaurant that we always walk by on our way to Kimmel or Weinstein. The décor was different than we were expecting, but the food was pretty good. We stuck with the Italian theme for dessert and went to a little place down the street for Gelato. Once we got back to NYU, we went down the the TV Lounge in the basement and, to Chander’s delight, had all agreed to watch Justin Bieber’s movie Never Say Never. As much as I don’t want to admit it, it wasn’t bad. While I still don’t have Bieber Fever, I do respect him much more as an artist (I still refuse to embrace the extreme hype around him though).
Today we tackled the Bronx Zoo. We attempted to get there for right when it opened, however failure to notice that the 5 train wasn’t running during the month of July (and finally realizing we should take the 4) and having to take a bus instead of transferring to the 2 train resulted in us arriving about an hour and a half to two hours behind schedule. Once we got there we had a lot of fun though. It was Tyler’s first real zoo experience, so that made it even better. We were able to go to the majority of the exhibits, but as the day went on the heat (and all the walking) really wore us out. 
The Dreamer Talk Box was tonight (fellow dreamer Robbie’s event) and it exceeded my expectations. There was humor, music, and guest speakers all tied into one. The highlight though was when Shelby went on the stage to participate in an activity and accidently guessed that 10 billion people lived in NYC instead of 10 million (it was also pretty funny during one of the video reels when Robbie was asking a question about Abraham Lincoln and Tyler was like “I don’t know, I’m Canadian”).
On a side note, in honor of the final Harry Potter movie coming out on Frida, I have decided to watch one Harry Potter movie each night leading up to it (obviously in sequential order) and then Friday morning watch HP7 part 1 right before going to see part 2 (I can’t go to the midnight premier because I might have to work).

No comments:

Post a Comment