About Me

My photo
Nashville, TN
I don't claim to be a profound writer, but I keep (well try to keep) this blog mainly to keep family and friends updated on things in my life when I'm away from home

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Sunday, July 17, 2011: It’s Been One Week


            It seems like during the week has fallen into a cycle of being somewhat uneventful. Monday was a usual day at work. Jen wasn’t in but she had already told me what needed to be done. After I got out of work I headed over to Brooklyn for an informational interview with someone from Ariel Publicity (the one from the alumi panel who is involved in the music industry, and I also got to meet the owner of the company).  He answered all the questions I had about working in the music industry and how publicity within the industry works. I really enjoyed meeting with him and was glad that he was willing to provide me with insight.
            I really didn’t feel like doing much of anything Tuesday. I walked around for a little but it was so hot I ended up going back inside to read. Our final seminar was last night, and Heather Hall talked to us about networking. Overall I really enjoyed it, and still find it fascinating how so many people are connected to one another.
            Wednesday at work I did a lot of running around because we had a big show that night. Turns out our NolaFunk banner wasn’t where it was supposed to be so we had to make do with just one. The venue was really nice, right on the water at South St Seaport. I had gone around with chalk to direct people from the subways to Beekman, however it started to rain about a half hour after the show started (so it all got washed away). The night was really long, and after standing for 7ish hours my feet were killing me, but apparently we had about 1,000 people come out to the show and they all seemed to enjoy it.
            I spent a lot of time outside on Thursday. I went back to South Street Seaport for a bit to get presents for people, and ended up getting “lost” a few times on the way there (I eventually found my way).  Once I got back to NYU, I ended up going to Union Square Park and reading for a few hours. It wasn’t overly hot out and there was a breeze so it was quite comfortable out. I’m worked another show again that night, and it was fun (even though I’m missing the Harry Potter midnight premiere).
            Friday, I finally finished my week long Harry Potter marathon, concluding with seeing Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2. It was really good, though there were a few parts that I wish they had done a little differently. It’s hard to believe that a series that I’ve followed since I was 8 has completely ended (yes the books finished awhile ago, but now that the movies are done it seems more official). That night Kate, Nadia and I ended up going to a bar with a couple other people. It was fun to hang out with everyone, but the bar was a little boring (I found it entertaining that it was called Brother Jimmy’s BBQ).
            Yesterday during the day Kate, Nadia and I went to a beach in Queens. The weather was beautiful, but it took awhile to get there (over an hour). I ended up only staying for 2ish hours because I had decided to go to the 100 Monkeys (and The Assembly Line) concert at Gramercy Theatre. Even though I ended up going alone, I met these 2 women while waiting in line, and hung out with them during the show (and then during the show we met up with another 100 Monkeys fan). The Assembly Line was amazing, and I’m definitely glad I got to see them perform before I left NYC (they’re from Brooklyn). The third opener, The Bleeding Horse Express, was also very good. I had never heard of them before, but will be buying their album very soon.
Finally, the 100 Monkeys; I had heard wonderful things about their shows before, however I still wasn’t entire sure what to expect. Part of me thought that more than half the audience wasn’t going to be actual 100 Monkeys fans but would just be there to see Jackson Rathbone (yes, I’m aware he’s one of my favorites too, but I went to the concert for the music; him being in the band was just an added bonus). The show ended up being a lot of fun. The energy the band has on stage is ridiculous and you can honestly tell how much they are enjoying themselves and how they feed off the energy of the crowd. I also loved the fact that they always switch instruments; I don’t think there were two songs in a row that didn’t involve some sort of switch. This was probably one of my favorite shows that I’ve seen, and will be making more of an effort to see them in the future. After the show was over, the band had an after party at Angels and Kings in alphabet city, where Jackson was going to be the DJ and Ben J., Ben G., and Jared were going to bar tend. I went with one of the women I had met and don’t remember exactly when we got there but the band didn’t end up showing up until 12:45 (we ended up talking to two girls who were already at the bar). It was ridiculously crowded, and of course when the band came, most of the people flocked to where they were (same thing when the band made their way over to bar tend). I ended up hanging out with one of the girls we had met at the bar, and it turns out that the non-profit she works for works with Pine Ridge (the Indian Reservation I went to over Spring break and the one I’m going to in a few weeks). The night was amazing, and I don’t know if I could’ve had a better last Saturday night in NYC.
Today, all of us went to Central Park for a picnic! We didn’t really do anything specific, just hung out on the lawn near the fountain, listening to music and enjoying each other’s company. A few of us ended up renting rowboats, and that turned out to be a lot of fun (though I know my arms are going to hurt tomorrow). I can’t believe that we’ve been here for 7 weeks! It seems like just yesterday all of us were dressing up to go to the polo match on Chandler’s and my birthday (when in fact that was 6 weeks ago). I have a feeling that this week is going to go by entirely too fast, though I do miss being home and everyone from school.

No comments:

Post a Comment