About Me

My photo
Nashville, TN
I don't claim to be a profound writer, but I keep (well try to keep) this blog mainly to keep family and friends updated on things in my life when I'm away from home

Friday, June 3, 2011

Friday, June 03, 2011: Sweet Serendipity

            Ok so this morning didn’t exactly go as I had planned for the small problem of waking up with a massive headache. I therefore chose to sleep in, and then went swimming around 10:30ish. I had forgotten how out of shape I was when it comes to doing laps and only swam about 1,000 yards (it also didn’t help that I forgot a water bottle so I was having breathing issues). Hopefully if I continue to drown myself a few days a week, I’ll be able to get somewhat back in swimming shape.
            Since I didn’t have my internship today, I decided to do some sightseeing around NYC. My first destination was the New York Public Library, which was massive and beautiful (so many stairs!). I then just kind of walked around Time Square for a bit. The Toys-R-Us is amazing! I thought about going on the Ferris wheel but then decided that since I was by myself it might look a little odd. As most of you probably know, I collect pressed pennies and of course they had a machine in the store; however I had no change on me (I was very disappointed). My next stop was the cool looking McDonalds that they always show on Food Network/Travel Channel…you know the one with the fancy lights and décor. It wasn’t as impressive as they make it out to be on TV, but I’m glad I went (plus I got a smoothie and my change was exactly 51¢, and yes I went back to Toys-R-Us to get my pressed penny). Before I went back to Toys-R-Us, I went into the Disney store. Since they got rid of the one in the Post Mall, I haven’t been in one in a really long time. The décor was just as elaborate as Toys-R-Us, however it was obviously Disney themed. When I went back to the Toys-R-Us I found ANOTHER pressed penny machine, so I’ll probably be heading back there at some point before the end of the summer so I can add to my collection (yes I’m aware of how lame I sound, but I’m a collector and need to add to my collection. And I just found PennyCollector.com and it tells me all the places that have pressed penny machines!!!). On my way back to U-Hall, I witnessed a dog in the subway wearing shoes (the owner also preceded to pick the dog up and carry it). If you are a dog owner, I beg you to please NEVER put shoes on your dog! It not only looks ridiculous, but is completely unnecessary.
            Anyways, tonight I went out with a bunch of people (Chandler, Nick, Katherine, Shelby, Steven, and Dave). I apologize now; I forgot my camera so I have to wait until Chandler posts pictures before I can put some in this blog. Our end goal was Serendipity 3; however we stopped at a bunch of places along the way: Macy’s, H&M, Forever 21, Dylan’s Candy Bar. It was a lot of fun. We witnessed a guy peeing on/in front of one of the street vendor's stands (the guy in the stand had no clue what was going on as the two were engaged in conversation). Only in New York! We put our name in at Serendipity 3 and then headed down to Dylan’s Candy Bar. Let’s just say we were definitely acting like kids in a candy store (and all the music was candy-themed!). There is literally candy EVERYWHERE! Downstairs there was a tub filled with gumballs with a sign that said “For Display, Please Don’t Touch”. So what do we do? Naturally we all try to see how far we can stick our hands/arms into the tub (not all at once since that would look too suspicious). Serendipity was awesome, especially the Frozen Hot Chocolate. Plus, I really enjoy how easy everyone is to get along with. There has yet to be a time where I’ve gone out and not enjoyed myself. Usually when with a new group of people, I feel awkward at first, but it really feels as though I’ve been hanging out with these people for months rather than just a few days.

            I can’t wait for tomorrow! We’re going on a tour of the city and then eating lunch at the Hard Rock Café in Time Square. Around 3ish we’re going to Central Park, which works out perfectly for me because The Script concert is in Central Park at 6:30 (so I don’t have to worry about getting there). Oh and I won Fan Passes to see The Script on the Today Show next Friday! Two concerts in one week, I’m not going to argue with that (even if it means waking up at 5am next week). I haven’t figured out yet if I’m going to go out tomorrow night at midnight to celebrate turning 21. All of my room/suitemates and most of the people I’ve been hanging out with aren’t 21, so we’ll see how it goes. It’s going to be weird not spending Sunday with Kristin Ann, but no worries she’s visiting on Thursday with Cassandra so we’re going to celebrate then!

No comments:

Post a Comment