About Me

My photo
Nashville, TN
I don't claim to be a profound writer, but I keep (well try to keep) this blog mainly to keep family and friends updated on things in my life when I'm away from home

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Tuesday, June 28, 2011: Pizza, Movies, and Music



            Sunday my family came to visit me (even Jimmy)! Though since I’m use to being at school and I talk to them a few times a week, it really hasn’t felt like I’ve been away from home for that long (in reality I haven’t, it’s only been 4 weeks). Regardless it was still nice to see them. We went to Lombardi’s Pizza in Little Italy and it was definitely the best pizza I’ve had in awhile (though Pepe’s Summer Pie is still my favorite). Afterwards, I exposed them to the NYC subway system and we went to the Central Park Zoo. It’s very small, but they had monkeys and penguins so I was happy. The polar bear that was there kept doing the same thing over and over, and it was entertaining to watch (at least for a little bit). And to backtrack a little, while we were waiting in line for tickets, Miranda Cosgrove (the girl from iCarly) was in line maybe 15 people behind us. I took a “creeper picture” just to prove that she was actually there (I didn’t want to go up and bother her).

            Yesterday, I decided to walk to work (I had my cool brace on my ankle so it didn’t hurt any more than it does to go up and down the stairs of the subway) and it is definitely something I’ll continue to do. It’s only about a 35-40min walk, it’s nicer than the subways, and I have the time to do it. At work I spent a lot of the day promoting the Summer Jazzfest and doing other promotional odds and ends. It was weird because it was the first day that I didn’t go out of the office to run errands (which I missed doing). As I was headed back to NYU, I finally checked my phone (I don’t check it when I’m at work, so your best bet if you need to reach me during the day on Mondays and Wednesdays is email) and Tyler had mentioned something about going to Bryant Park for the Summer Film Festival (they show a free movie every Monday at sunset), so I ended up walking there instead. It was fun, but I honestly have no idea what the movie was about because we couldn’t really hear it (Steven ending up looking it up on Wikipedia). 

            After we got back, I ended up watching The Human Experience, a documentary that I’ve been meaning to watch for a few months now. I absolutely loved it! Though I feel like I watched it at the perfect time because I feel like the experience when Jeffery and Cliff live homeless in NYC for a week, wouldn’t have had the same impact if I hadn’t ever lived in the City. I mean, yes everyone is more or less familiar with the issue of homelessness, but I’ve now lived in NYC for 4 weeks and every day it is something I come across (whereas in Worcester and Ansonia I would only see it every once in awhile (I know it’s there, it’s just not something I encounter daily)). While the other experiences were inspirational as well, it was definitely the first on the resonated most with me.
            Today, I did some work from home, looking into trackable QR Codes and information about creating an iPhone App for Sullivan Hall. It was slightly frustrating because a lot of the sites weren’t that helpful. After working for a few hours, I decided to go to Washington Square Park and read for a bit. It was very nice out and since it was late afternoon, it wasn’t extremely hot.
            Tonight we had a networking panel where alumni from the program came to talk to us about the importance of networking. I wasn’t really sure what to expect, but it ended up being the best seminar yet. It was very different from having a speaker more or less lecture about things that you should be doing because while you know that speaker is giving you decent advice, it’s more personal being given advice from someone who has already experienced what we’re going through now. One of the panelists is in the music industry and even talked to him afterward. He gave me his business card, and I found what he had to say very helpful. Tomorrow night there’s another panel, but it’s specific to the music/entertainment industry, so I’m really looking forward to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment