About Me

My photo
Nashville, TN
I don't claim to be a profound writer, but I keep (well try to keep) this blog mainly to keep family and friends updated on things in my life when I'm away from home

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Saturday, June 11, 2011: Soul Food


            Ok so yesterday morning The Script was playing on the Today Show, and I had won fan passes, so Steven and I woke up around 5am to venture over to Rockefeller Plaza. Because it was ridiculously early the trains weren’t running as consistently as they usually do, so we ended up getting there at 6:05am (the cut off for fan passes was at 6am) and they wouldn’t let us use the fan passes (really the only thing it meant was that we got to go into the concert area first and would be closer to the stage). We ended up wandering around a bit, then heading back over at 6:45 and got in with the regular general admission. We couldn’t really see, but we could still hear the music so it was still worth going to.
            By the time I got back to the dorm, I basically passed out (seeing as I was running on very little sleep from the past 2 nights). It was definitely a lazy Friday; well at least it was during the day. Last night we ended up going out to a bar for dancing and just hanging out. We had kind of left without a definite place to go to (just a few in mind that we were going to try because our group is a mix of 21 and 20 year olds). Overall the night was a lot of fun.
            Today, we were supposed to have a trip to walk the Brooklyn Bridge then go out for pizza, but because the weather was rainy all day, it ended up getting rescheduled. Instead, we decided to go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art and visit the Alexander McQueen Exhibit. I’ve never known much about art, and I am no where’s near an expert in fashion, but I’ve always enjoyed going to art museums. The exhibit wasn’t what I was imagining it to be, but it was still very interesting. The designs of the clothes/shoes/head pieces were extremely bizarre (but it somehow still worked), and the display of everything was amazing (there was one room that showed the runway shows and they were unlike anything I’ve seen before). After we went through that exhibit, we walked around The Met a little bit more.
Around 6 we started to head uptown to Harlem so we could get some good ole fashioned soul food from Sylvia’s. And seeing as most of our group of friends is from the South and I’m a Southern girl at heart (sometimes I definitely think I grew up in the wrong section of the country, even though I do love New England), we were extremely excited about going.  Within seconds of entering the restaurant, we knew this was going to be a place we were going to enjoy. We got Sweet Tea and Corn Bread and were already in love with the place. Since I’m a nerd and knew about Sylvia’s from watching Man vs. Food, I knew the Chicken and Waffles were good (therefore that’s what I ordered, and it was definitely amazing). Once our food arrived, there was silence at the table for a decent amount of time (for two reasons: everyone was really hungry and the food was just that good); though eventually we did start up conversation again. Steph even pointed out that no one was talking, and we agreed by nodding (still no talking). When we left to go to Sylvia’s it was going to be a onetime adventure, however after tonight I feel like we’re going to be headed back at least once more before this summer is over.
Tomorrow we’re probably going to be going to a BBQ in Madison Square Park and maybe just hang out for the day (nothing too exciting, but tomorrow it’s supposed to rain again).

No comments:

Post a Comment