About Me

My photo
Nashville, TN
I don't claim to be a profound writer, but I keep (well try to keep) this blog mainly to keep family and friends updated on things in my life when I'm away from home

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Saturday, June 25, 2011: Comedy in the City


            So I got my ankle checked out Thursday morning, and basically paid for them to confirm what I already thought was wrong with it (a strained muscle and I just need to ice it and keep it wrapped). It’s been rainy/overcast the last few days, and the iffy weather messed up my plans on spending time outside reading, so I ended up just doing things around the room (reading, organizing, etc.). Last night I worked another show for work. It was busy, but I’m getting the hang of working the door.
            Today, everyone went on the Washington DC trip (we had the choice between going there and going to a Comedy Club). I stayed in NYC to go to the Comedy Club for three reasons: 1) because the trip to DC was going to be very rushed (they come back tomorrow around 8pm) 2) I’ve been to DC and got to spend more time at all the sites when I went in 2003 (and 2001) 3) I wanted to experience a NYC Comedy Club. We don’t leave for the show until 8:45 so I had to kill time before then. I decided to just wander around the city for a bit.
I started off at FAO Schwartz, where if you just happened to have $25,000 lying around you could purchase a Barbie Foosball Table (yes you read both the price and what was for sale correctly); I proceeded to check out the Apple store (which was right next door), and then wandered toward Rockefeller Center with the intention of either doing the NBC Studio Tour or Top of the Rock. On my way there I stopped at the Cathedral of Saint Patrick, which was beautiful. I found it amusing how there are TV screens (they’re literally everywhere) and a camera setup so that people can see the Mass no matter where they sit. I ended up doing the Top of the Rock, and the view was phenomenal. I’ve grown so accustomed to looking up at the buildings, and it was very different to see everything from so high up (67-69 stories). After spending a decent amount of time there, I wandered to Time Square and went to M&M World and the Hershey Store. The Hershey Store wasn’t that impressive, but I enjoyed the dynamic of M&M World. They had a huge wall off M&Ms in basically any color you could imagine. I remember the time when the only colors they had were Red, Yellow, Orange, Green, & Brown (not even Blue was around), and now you can get M&Ms in colors such as Cream, Electrifying Green, or Aqua (crazy!). 

(time lapse as Kristen goes to the Comedy Club)
Overall the Comedy Club was good. It was very weird not having our normal staff running the trip (all of the Union Square staff are on the DC trip, so the Gramercy Park staff ran the Comedy Club event). The 2 women who performed were ok; some of their stuff was funny, but it wasn’t anything memorable. The main act, Jim David, was by far the best (the other opening guy was decent). It was definitely worth the experience, but there wasn’t anything that stood out about actually going to the comedy club as opposed to watching the comics on TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment