About Me

My photo
Nashville, TN
I don't claim to be a profound writer, but I keep (well try to keep) this blog mainly to keep family and friends updated on things in my life when I'm away from home

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Tuesday, June 14 2011/ Wednesday June 15, 2011: 2 in 1

6/14- Take Me Out to the Ball Game!
           Yesterday was a fairly typical day in the office. I researched various things regarding upcoming shows, ran a few errands, and got to come up with contest ideas for this Thursday’s show (which was pretty cool). The weather was beautiful and I greatly enjoyed getting to go out and deliver packages etc.
            Last night was another sponsored event through the program: the Yankee game. The last professional baseball game I went to was when I was about 9 or so at the old Yankee Stadium, and even then I wasn’t a Yankee fan. The stadium is beautiful though. Overall the game wasn’t that eventful. We left after the 7th inning with the score being 1-0 Cleveland (and that ended up being the final score).

            Today was pretty laid back. I ended up working a little bit from home again, coming up with ideas for contests for other shows this summer and implementing the one for Thursday. Not too much else happened, but I was able to watch Step Up 3 and it was very weird watching a movie that was not only based in NYC but talked about NYU a lot since that’s exactly where I am. Overall I enjoyed the movie though (I’ve been dying to see it since it came out last year).

(since that was not enough to blog yesterday I’m just adding today’s post in on the same thread)

6/15- Love for Live Music
            So I thought today was going to be a little awkward at my internship because my boss is away; however it went extremely smoothly. When I got in, one of the other girls in the office emailed me a list of things that needed to get done (something my boss always does) which overwhelmed me a bit at first because I had a set idea of things that I needed to complete in regards to contest ideas and finding various things for the office (new dry erase calendars and rubber stamps), but I figured it out and got everything done (in addition to running multiple errands). Oh and I also ran my first contest and picked a winner!
            Right after work (well I had to leave work a little early), I went to a Music Industry Secrets Panel at the Knitting Factory in Brooklyn. It was a little different than I expected but still a lot of fun. I thought I was going to be learning more of the business end of the industry (from a non-artist perspective), but it ended up being more about guiding artists in how to handle the business end of their careers (I still was able to learn great deal from it. Plus now I have a little bit of a better understanding of the artists’ side of things). I met a few really nice people too (all aspiring musicians), and was surprised to learn that after the panel there was a showcase. All of the artists were extremely talented (Alyson Greenfield, Kristin Errett, and Melodime), but my favorite was by far Melodime!
            Tonight reminded me of why I want to get into the music industry. I not only love hearing live music, but I want to help artists get discovered and spread their music to the largest fan base possible. Not entirely sure how I’m going to do that yet, but it’s at least an idea in the general direction of what I want to do. Tomorrow should be a lot of fun too. I’m working a show for work and it’s supposed to be really good (well everything I’ve read about these guys and the little bit I’ve heard has been positive so I have high hopes).

No comments:

Post a Comment