About Me

My photo
Nashville, TN
I don't claim to be a profound writer, but I keep (well try to keep) this blog mainly to keep family and friends updated on things in my life when I'm away from home

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Monday, June 6, 2011: All for You

            So this morning started off in not necessarily a good way. No, I was not hung-over (I didn’t drink that much alcohol last night), but I did realize that I missed putting sunscreen on a good portion of my back. Around 7:00am, I rolled over in bed and felt just burning on my back and shoulders. Aloe didn’t really help so I ended up getting up to get my ice pack (which was a life saver). I had seriously forgotten how much sunburn sucks.
            On my way to work this morning, the subways didn’t come at the times that they usually do (it was annoying), so I ended up being a few minutes late (which I don’t think was that big of a deal, but I like being early). Most of my day was spent updating CEG Presents Facebook events, and making sure we had all the shows listed. This morning, my company announced this morning that Sister Hazel is doing an acoustic show at Sullivan Hall, the venue where it all began. I got to summarize a 2 page article on the band into a one-paragraph bio for the Facebook event! The first one I wrote wasn’t what my boss was looking for, however I was told to post my re-write to the event page. Naturally I’m excited about it so I’m going to post it on here:
“After last year’s well-received ‘Release’ reached Sister Hazel’s highest ever spot (#37) on the Billboard Album Charts, topping even their platinum disc ‘Somewhere More Familiar,’ they are keeping the momentum going with ‘Heartland Highway’ (Oct. 12, 2010, Rock Ridge Music), marking the band’s quickest album-to-album turnaround in their 15-plus-year career. The band agrees that ‘Heartland Highway,’ the group’s 8th full-length album, is their most diverse-sounding disc yet, and ‘is one of those discs you can put in and listen to front to back.’ While the band still holds true to their signature mix of Southern pop hooks and country rock harmonies, this album is full of moments that have never been in Sister Hazel songs before, according to lead guitarist, Ryan Newell. After all their years together, the band feels like they’re reaching new milestones with ‘Heartland Highway,’ leaving endless possibilities for future albums.” (http://www.facebook.com/SisterHazel?sk=info#!/event.php?eid=227470080612603)
            Tonight, we had the first seminar, Gary Tuerack, and it was a lot more interesting than I expected it to be. First off he started off by playing Simon Says, which I think loosened everyone up, and then part way through he had us briefly giving the people standing next to us a shoulder massage (thankfully I was in between Steph and Nick, not 2 strangers); but definitely got people laughing. He talked about we limit ourselves to what we think we can do, not what we are actually capable of doing, and that we need to step outside of our comfort zones in order to live life to its fullest. Yes, it sounds very cliché the way I wrote it, but believe me, it was a lot more interesting than that. I found his lecture very relatable because for me this entire summer (and most of this past year) has been about trying to step outside of my comfort zone, and doing things that I may have hesitated to do in the past. One of my favorite parts was when he asked us a series of questions and then gave us a minute or so to write down the first thing that came to mind: setting our vision. Because this was my favorite part (and it’s slightly outside of my comfort zone), I’m going to post my responses to those questions. The first question was “What do you want in life?”: I want to be happy and to be able to travel all over the world. I want to find a person who is a perfect fit for me and marry him. Career wise, I want to be a successful band promoter, but after I have kids I want to be a stay at home mom. I also want to volunteer any opportunity I have in order to give back to my community. Next we were asked, “What do you want to accomplish in the next 5 years?”: I want to graduate college and maybe do a year of service in a state outside of New England. Within 5 years of graduation, I want to move to Nashville and work in the country music industry. And the final question “You’re given 6 months to live, how are you going to spend them?”: I’m going to travel with the people who mean the most to me, and do all the things I’ve wanted to do but haven’t found the right time to do them: skydiving, going to Italy and Australia, do a wine tasting, etc. We then had to circle two things from each question that were most important to us, and then star one of those 6 circles. I chose: to be happy, be a stay at home mom, graduate college, move to Nashville, travel, and be with the people who mean the most to me (I starred to be happy). We then closed our eyes and he had us visualize the thing that we starred, which was easy for me because the remaining 5 things I had circled were all things that make/would make me happy.
            Thankfully I get to somewhat relax tomorrow. I don’t have to go into the office, but I took some work home to do (so I’ll still probably be working for the better part of the day). Hope everyone isn’t getting too bored with the daily on goings of my life in NYC.

No comments:

Post a Comment